Friday, December 2, 2011

Thoughts That Keep Me Up At Night

The key to unlocking the human mind can be found in the writings of deep thinkers.

As I have been here at BYU, I have noticed myself changing. Everyone tells me I change a lot, but I don't think its been ever so visible to myself as it is now. I'm realizing that as I read the works of philosophers, artists, activists, professors, and historians, my ability to connect thoughts, theories, and ideas is increasing. A deep thinking mind is something I wish we all could attain. There are too many people in the world who could care less about what and how they think. There is a great deal of constrained power within the human mind. Just think! We could do so much more if we would just THINK!

Tonight I was reading a letter from Birmingham jail by Martin Luther King Jr. and it made me ponder some things. Now, while I realize there are some who don't particularly place Martin Luther King Jr. on their own particular pedestals because of his adulterous errors, I personally find him to be an exemplary American hero. I do not believe mistakes discredit profound thought, and his mistakes only humanize him in my mind making his accomplishments that much more astonishing. 

In part of his letter, he discussed extremists who have changed the world. (Jesus Christ, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther, Paul, and Thomas Jefferson to name a few) I find extremism to be an interesting topic because, so often in our world, we're taught to avoid it. Especially in Mormon culture we're instructed to "avoid the extremes" and live life of moderation. Everything in moderation. 

Perhaps we are taught this because, in extremity, values, beliefs, and even fundamental humanistic qualities become drastically relative and easily changeable. 
Perhaps it is because moderation maintains consistency and we all know human beings thrrriiiive on consistency. 
Or perhaps its because there just aren't many of us who can be successful extremists. 

I honestly don't know.

All I know is that the great heroes of our history were those who were not afraid to be different. They weren't afraid to stand out, to be mocked and scorned, or to present unconventional ways of thinking. They were not those who sought to exert moderate opinions in an effort to maintain mediocrity. No, they wanted to change the world. Our historic heroes created nonconformist visions meant to be shared. They were the ones pointing out our complacency and asking us to over come it. 

DO better. BE better.

Think about it. Where would we be had Abe Lincoln chosen to take the stance of "just let the south have their slaves and the north will cope." instead of his powerful extremist view of "we will keep fighting this war no matter the cost until slavery is expunged from this union." Lincoln took the radical view of absolute abolitionism, and because of him, America stands as a beacon of freedom for all even today.

I realize, however, that we cannot all be extremists. In fact, most of us choose to take the conformist route in life. But those of us who will become the extremists, the nonconformists, and the society shapers, need to be cautious and careful. 

If you want to be different, change the world, and leave behind a legacy, it is your duty to be better than normal. Change can be a wonderful thing, as with the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King Jr., but all you have to do is take one glance at a few Holocaust photos and you will shudder with stunning remembrance of the corruption that can emerge from extremist views. 

So, in the words of Martin Luther King Jr., "The question is not whether we will be extremists, but what kind of extremists we will be."  

I have many more thoughts to write, but alas 2 A.M. approaches and classes will be here before I know it.

Goodnight.
I hope you enjoyed the thoughts that keep me up at night.

2 comments:

  1. yes. that was fantastic.

    i've never thought about how mormons say we need to not be radical, and be a better part of the norm, but you are right! (well actually martin luther king jr. was right, but you are right in quoting him) jesus was a radical, and we should try to be like jesus!!! :)

    YAY! that just made my day.

    loves. can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to think, it's good to not be ordinary but if everyone was an extremist I think we'd have some serious problems getting along.

    / Avy
    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete