Friday, March 2, 2012

Landscape Art SUCKS

People that live in big cities go to their fancy quaint little art museums to stare at paintings of mountains and waterfalls and trees and plateaus and canyons and flowers and rocks and baby animals and birds and clouds and blah blah blah crap!
If they would just step outside the city limits for a moment to see the real deal, they would realize landscape art is a disgrace. God is the true artist, and no one else measures up.

Freak man.

What is so exciting about a painted mountain scene or some flowers anyway?
A.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y. n.o.t.h.i.n.g.

If I wanted to see a *depiction* of something that already exists, I would go see it in real life.
That's where the true beauty exists.
Besides, its a shame to try and capture the magnificence of moving and changing subjects. Part of the glory of nature is that it is always changing; to force nature to reside in a frozen, unchangeable state simply to be hung on the walls of a gallery and gawked at, that's practically a sin. No, it is a sin.
Landscape painters can burn for all I care.

When I go to an art museum I want to see genius. creativity. ingenuity. exploration. discovery. not some stupid flower that was "oh so pretty you just had to waste several hours of your life painting it."
dude, I see the exact same flower in the exact same way and I can see it in a couple seconds.
I want to see things through new eyes.
Feel anger. jealousy. envy. love. passion. grief. stress.
I want to be offended.

and no one has ever been offended by a landscape.

Art should change people. End of story.

2 comments:

  1. haha you're funny, Kari. Your passion for art is slightly amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oh Kari...
    I had to mention (I love to argue) that I am primarily a landscape painter. I think that art is super subjective. I totally appreciate your opinion. I personally love about every kind of art, and I think that there is a case for every style and subject. Art can affect our mood, can brighten or darken an environment, etc. It has great effects on us.

    The art I like to look at usually depends on my mood.
    But the art I paint is another story. God's creations (as he IS the ultimate artist) are the most beautiful and worthy subject that I could think of. I am not always up in the mountains, one the beach, in the forest, in the tulip fields. Sunsets come and go, waters flow, sand and pebbles wash away. That is the beauty of nature. But sometimes I want something that will remind me of a specific sunset, a specific place. Perhaps something happened there that would cause me to hold it dear to my heart. Sometimes I just want something beautiful to look at. I don't always want art to be mind boggling or offensive. I don't always want art to be mysterious and symbolic. Sometimes I just want balance. And peace. And beauty. It is, of course impossible to recreate the magnificent creations of God, but art can help me to reminisce about the beautiful things that I have seen.
    I also paint out of appreciation. I appreciate those little flowers and each blade of grass. And the beauty of the world that God has given us is something that I want to share.

    That's why I paint landscapes. Just my opinion :)

    ReplyDelete