Sunday, January 1, 2012

Thought Vomit




Do I want to teach?

Would I even be good at it? Could I see it as a respectable career path when it is so frowned upon by BYU and most of the world?

I don't know.
I just want to help people.
Preferably youth.

I was thinking about how, if I became psychologist, I would genuinely be helping a small group of people on an individual basis. That career would lack the diversity of the group, something that I really love. But, if i were to be a teacher, I would be missing out on the quality aid. I would be teaching a large group with the sincere hope of helping everyone, but in all reality, I might maybe influence a couple students for the better. Most of them would pass through my class and come out the other side with a few more zzz's to tack onto their "naps is class" book.

it's just a question of quantity vs. quality in the end I suppose.

Help a few very deeply, or help some somewhat.

Bleh. Could I even reach them? Would I even inspire them? bore them? convince them to think?
I DON'T KNOW!!!!
I have no answers.

Quick question though.  Why is teaching so frowned upon? Teachers are the people that change our LIVES! yet when you tell people you are considering becoming a pre-pubescent instructor you get the glances of disapproval all around.
Well excuse me for trying to insure my future Bill Gates wannabe. Not all of our aspirations center around money.

psh....

Maybe I could do it. Maybe I have the people skills, the drive, the passion, the knowledge, the vision.
But what about the organization? The depth? the Patience? the stamina? the voice?

Do those just come with time or what?
cause I'm clueless here.

All I do know right now is that if I do become a teacher, I'm definitely teaching my students about dwell time. I think it's one of the most important lessons I ever learned from that incredible man, Mr. Wix.

Dwell time: Pondering ideas, not just taking them at surface value and letting them quickly run a marathon through your head, but slowing them down. Taking them for a walk. Examining how they carry themselves. Seeing their manner and style of walking change or maybe you realize it's not even a walking idea but rather trotting or skipping one. Perhaps it bounces.

There lies great importance in being able to think about one idea many ways over an extended period of time.

Too many of us get caught up in thinking about one thing in one way; so much so that any new proposed idea becomes preposterous or even, heaven forbid, WRONG.
Whatever happened to the ability to think in new ways, huh?
Today, people are too quick to not even bother to think at all!!

It's not that they've lost the desire or the capability to think outside the box, it's just that they refuse to do so. They can't because they won't.
I don't know about you, but I grew up with the little engine that could, not the little engine that refused.

Can't we remember Descartes? Je pense donc je suis! "I think therefore I am!"
Where are the Da Vinci's? The Aristotles? the Platos? Pascals? Einsteins? Emersons? Franklins?

I mean come on humanity. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!

Stop refusing to utilize the very thing that makes you human.... YOUR BRAIN!!

If I could just get people to do that, use their intellects, to think for themselves, to analyze, to refuse to be a mindless zombie, that would be worth something.
That would make me feel like I could leave this world a little better off than I found it.

People, use your dwell time. Ponder. Think. Reflect. Challenge. Entertain an idea without judging it nor accepting it, merely consider it. Forget the modern notion that every idea must be good or bad, wrong or right, black and white.
this world is GRAY. 

Let an idea exist. Let it breath. Let it live.
Don't assign it a moral label, ideas aren't even moral or immoral anyway. Leave morality up to actions and quit bombarding thoughts with its restrictions.

We categorize, label, and file away thoughts as if cognitive functioning in this world has a pin-point location and a definition. Nothing is allowed to float, to be watched, appreciated, and skit away untouched. We ruin every good idea that comes our way.

People are idea killers and opinion formers. 

What else can I say.

I hope you appreciated the thought vomit.

1 comment: